A buddy despatched me an invitation lately. It was for an occasion at a neighborhood brewery, held to rejoice the discharge of Taylor Swift’s new album, Midnights. I instructed her it sounded enjoyable, however that I have a tendency to consider Taylor Swift album releases as solitary experiences; that I’d already blocked off your entire weekend for walks on my own across the lakes, listening on repeat. This was partially an exaggeration however largely the reality. And, for the document, I’m completely okay with this plan.
Her invite, and my subsequent response, obtained me pondering.
There’s one thing magical in regards to the first time (and the second, and the third) listening to an album from an artist you’re keen on during—noticing the songs that pull you in most, some for apparent causes and others for these you may’t fairly put your finger on but. In that spirit, I made a decision to dream up a lot of concepts for how one may expertise their first hearken to an album. The concepts I’m sharing at present can, in fact, apply to any album of your selecting, from any artist who notably resonates with you. In at present’s put up, for the sake of timeliness, we’re discussing Taylor Swift’s Midnights album.
There’s one thing magical in regards to the first time (and the second, and the third) listening to an album from an artist you’re keen on during—noticing the songs that pull you in most, some for apparent causes and others for these you may’t fairly put your finger on but.
Given its very premise—”A group of music written in the course of the night time, a journey by way of terrors and candy desires”—this album specifically appears promised to be a doozy of the emotional selection. This, in my private opinion, makes it a ripe alternative to take pleasure in your first pay attention with much more intention—in no matter means speaks to you most.
Listed below are nineteen methods to expertise Taylor Swift’s Midnights album (which drops tonight at, properly, midnight):
- Whereas strolling round a lake (Ideally a considerably populated one since you’ll be carrying headphones and wish to really feel protected!)
- Whereas strolling subsequent to an ocean
- Whereas having fun with the presence of any open physique of water, actually
- Whereas driving alongside autumn-hued, tree-lined roads
- Whereas dancing in your kitchen, alone or in any other case
- Whereas swaying in a hammock below an open sky
- Saddled as much as a bar with a glass of wine (or your beverage of alternative), within the consolation of crowded solitude
- Along with your headphones on when you wash the dishes, along with your youngsters frolicking within the background (as a result of not all listens shall be free from interruption!)
- Throughout pockets of a largely uneventful workday
- Whereas sitting in your patio, or your balcony, or your porch, or your deck (and so forth), searching on the world past
- At a listening get together, surrounded by buddies and/or strangers, with the music on full blast
- On an airplane (ought to you’ve gotten plans to be on an airplane), with minimal distractions to tug your consideration away
- Whereas taking a shower or whereas having a shower
- Whereas watching the dawn
- Or, maybe, whereas watching the sundown
- Whereas baking cookies or whereas baking really something (this feels applicable, sure?)
- From a human-sized indent in a big pile of leaves in your yard or a close-by park
- One tune at a time, as time permits, over the course of every week or weeks
- On the very stroke of midnight, tucked comfortably into your mattress, till you drift off to sleep
What’s your personal private listening technique of alternative?